Wednesday, October 28, 2009

RZA Turned Philospher



The RZA, aka Robert Fitzgerald Diggs from the Wu Tang Clan has now turned philosopher in his new book “The Tau of Wu”.  When did things shift that you no longer needed any formal training or education and basically becoming a rapper was the short cut to any vocation. 
The other ugly part of RZA turned philosopher is the patronizing manner he is being handled with mainstream media. 
I am accustomed to rappers, slash models turned actors but we have to draw the line somewhere.  My best friend has a PhD in Philosophy.  I watched him study, research, write and defend his dissertation which was a long and intense journey.  We have to validate educational and vocational pursuits.
Next it will be rapper turned Proctologist.  Do you really want Lil Wayne behind you sloshing syrup juice on your backside during a prostate exam?  Wait, given the fact that I was recently traumatized by my own big Nordic gay doctor that may not be a bad alternative.  See earlier “Man Exam”post. 
Do I want Flava Flav as my dentist with all that gold in his mouth and that damned clock hitting me in the face?  But I must admit the thought of Lil Kim as a school principal is kind of fierce.  I can see her stomping down the hallways in 6 inch Prada’s and fur yelling “You better get to your homeroom bitches I’m the Queen Bee”. 

1 comment:

  1. Way to lay it out for us, man. This really is getting ridiculous. What's the point of encouraging black men to stay in school if all it takes to be a public intellectual is to soak up some "street knowledge"? If it were that easy, my neighborhood would be full of geniuses.

    ReplyDelete