Friday, October 16, 2009

Mo Rules at Morehouse College



I was driving home and heard on the Rev. Al Sharpton Show that Morehouse College just announced a new and more severe dress code.  I personally was a faculty member in the AUC, that stands for the Atlanta University Center for our Historically Black College and University challenged readers.  I recall both Spelman and Morehouse had a tradition of freshman dressing up during the first week of school.
So just when this story is getting not so interesting, they reveal that items that are banned include:  the usual baggy pants, do-rag, caps and hoods.   Then they get to the part that makes someone like me glad they got up this morning.  They said the "children" (code for gay boys) could not wear any items that are usually worn by women including: dresses, tops, tunics, purses, pumps, etc.  Insert gay boy riot!
Again I taught in AUC for several years when I was younger and a hot child in the city myself.  I met many of the young gay men who attended Morehouse and dated a few cute alumni.  Let me tell you those children are fierce and have always had a presence.  There is a definite trend of the more fabulous gay boys to wear high heels and carry expensive women’s bags.  Check out Derek J and Dwight on The Housewives of Atlanta, more on those heifers later.  So it stands to reason that some of the children at Morehouse are working the trends.
Dr. William Bynum states that the new policy is an effort to “get back to the legacy” of Morehouse leaders.  I can see his point.  He goes on to say that “We expect our young men to be Renaissance men”.  I wonder if he means Renaissance men like Langston Hughes and James Baldwin both “children of the era”. 


If that is the case then those high stepping, bag toting Morehouse children are truly representing. And having had to teach an 8:00 AM class where they are already grumpy those are going to be some evil “children” if they have to come to class in flats, unbeaten faces and no accessories.  What do you think?  Should the children be able to keep their bags and heels at Morehouse?



No comments:

Post a Comment